Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) is very common and is usually treated only with medications. However, the following non-pharmacologic modalities help lower blood pressure and are highly recommended for all patients, regardless of whether or not they are treated with standard medications.
1) A diet high in fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts and whole grain
2) Limit intake of sodium to 1500-2400 mg/day (about 2/3-1 teaspoon)
3) Exercise for 40 minutes 3-4 times per week
4) Lose weight
5) Cease smoking/tobacco use
6) Decrease alcohol consumption to 1-2 oz of liquor equivalents a day (1-2 drinks a day)
7) Reduce intake of saturated fat, red meat and sweets
8) Treat obstructive sleep apnea
9) Utilize a relaxation technique of choice
Leave a Reply.