1) 3 1 1/4-lb. acorn squash, halved and seeded
2) 2 TBSP. Canola oil
3) 12 oz. 93% lean ground turkey
4) 3/4 cup chopped sweet pepper
5) 1/2 cup chopped onion
6) 1 1/4 cups cubed yellow summer squash
7) 1 14.5-oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
8) 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Fiesta Lime Seasoning
9) 6 TBSP. crumbled queso fresco
10) 3 TBSP. snipped fresh cilantro
A) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour 1/2 inch water into a large
roasting pan; add acorn squash, cut sides down. Bake 30 minutes.
Turn acorn squash halves cut sides up; coat with nonstick cooking
spray and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Bake 25
minutes more or until tender.
B) In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 TBSP. of the oil over medium
heat. Add turkey; cook until browned. Remove turkey.
C) In same skillet, heat remaining 1 TBSP. oil over medium heat.
Add sweet pepper and onion; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add summer squash; cook and stir 3 minutes or until vegetables are
tender. Stir in turkey, 1/2 tsp. salt, the tomatoes, and fiesta lime seasoning;
C) Spoon mixture into acorn squash. Bake 10 minutes. Top with queso
fresco and cilantro.
SERVINGS: 6 (1/2 squash half each)
Dr. Gerfin blogs about all kinds of medical issues and provides healthy recipes.