1) Dried prunes are preferred for preventing constipation, but not for relieving it. Start with five or six prunes the first day and thereafter titrate the number according to the results of stool consistency.
2) The body is composed of numerous tissues, including adipose tissue (fat), muscle, bone, skin, internal organs and connective tissue, in addition to water. Treatment of obesity is concerned only with the loss of fat. Any loss of other tissues, for example, skeletal muscle, must be replaced, as must water loss. Our objective in treating obesity should, therefore, be designated as "fat loss" rather than "weight loss".
3) Any water lost during dieting must be replaced or dehydration results. THEREFORE:
A) Additional water must be consumed during dieting.
B) Diuretics used for fat loss, but not for the treatment of hypertension,
is contraindicated during dieting.
4) Approximately 15% of scale weight loss during dieting is due to loss
of muscle mass, therefore, dieters must:
A) Increase their protein intake by a factor of 1.2-1,4.
B) Exercise five to six times per week in order to build back lost muscle.
5) Vitamin B12 injections are not indicated for fat loss or tiredness, but only as treatment of pernicious anemia, malabsorption or documented low serum Vitamin B12 levels.
6) Exercise in any form has been conclusively shown to help prevent the development of Type #2 (adult onset) Diabetes.
7) Often overlooked sources of calories that should be eliminated from any diet are:
A) Soft drinks
B) Juices (eg. orange juice)
8) Bagels and pasta are prohibited because they each contain several hundred calories and have little nutritional value.
9. A diet providing fewer than 75 grams of carbohydrate daily will provide some satiety because of the mild degree of acidosis produced, secondary to accelerated fat metabolism.
10) Hydroxycitric acid is the principal acid of fruit rinds of garcinia cambogia ( a shrub/tree of Asia, Africa, and Polynesia) which is a potent inhibitor of ATP citrate lyase which catalyzes the cytosolic cleanage of citrate to oxaloacetate and acetyl-CoA.
The inhibition of this reaction limits the availability of acetyl-CoA units required for fatty acid synthesis and lipogenesis (fat storage) during a lipogenic diet, that is a diet high in carbohydrates (sugars).
Theoretically, this chain of events should eventuate in weight loss by preventing fat storage, but, at least in humans, weight loss does not occur.
Therefore, do not waste your money on garcinia cambogia and other over-the-counter weight loss supplements. Regardless of the television commercials promoting these products, they simply do not provide meaningful weight loss or appetite suppression.
Dr. Gerfin blogs about all kinds of medical issues and provides healthy recipes.