Shoppers are reminded to thoroughly wash mixed salad leaves, especially pre-packaged ones, with cold water prior to ingestion.
Mixed salad leaves have been implicated in outbreaks of infections with E.coli 0157, Listeria sp., Salmonella sp., etc,, some cases of which have been fatal.
Avoiding bacterial food infections:
1) Wash hands thoroughly before and after toilet use.
2) Remove any loose soil before storing vegetables and salads.
3) Wash all vegetables and foods eaten raw with cold water.
4) Store and prepare raw meat and unwashed vegetables away from
5) Do not prepare raw vegetables with utensils that have also been used with
6) Cook all minced meat products, such as burgers and meatballs, thoroughly.
This means that cut surfaces should be brown with no traces of blood or
7) People who have been ill should not prepare food for others for at least
48 hours after they have recovered.
Dr. Gerfin blogs about all kinds of medical issues and provides healthy recipes.