It is important to keep well-hydrated to prevent heat exhaustion and kidney stones. In addition to drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water daily, the following 10 foods will help keep you in positive water balance. Please keep in mind that 20% of our day fluid intake comes from the foods that we eat.
1) Bananas- contain 74% water and are high in potassium which is easily lost during perspiration.
2) Cauliflower- contains 92% water and is rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K and antioxidants that help prevent cancer.
3) Celery- contains 95% water and is high in Vitamin K, folic acid and potassium.
4) Cucumbers- contains 96% water
5) Spinach- contains 92% water, a favorite of Popeye, and a healthy supply of magnesium.
6) Iceberg Lettuce- contains 98% water, the rest being fiber which helps lower cholesterol and prevents constipation and diverticulosis/itis.
7) Radishes- contains 95% water.
8) Strawberries- contains 91% water and are a rich source of the antioxidants known as flavonoids.
9) Watermelon- the quintessential summer fruit. It contains 91% water and is a rich source of lycopene, an antioxidant. Although sweet, watermelon contains only 8% sugars and is rich in sodium, potassium and magnesium,
10) Milk- according to research at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, milk hydrates better than sports drinks due to it's combination of sugars, sodium, potassium, calcium and electrolytes.
11) Other- A few other hydrating food sources include cantaloupe, oranges, zucchini and cottage cheese.
Dr. Gerfin blogs about all kinds of medical issues and provides healthy recipes.